• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bigamy case preventing green card issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mi_california

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'm a Brazilian national that married an American. It turns out he was married before he and I got married, and they never got divorced (I was unaware of the prior marriage), so a state of bigamy was established, and thus my marriage to him, in immigration's eyes, is null and void. My question: has anyone here ever come across this type of situation? I'm trying to find a case where this has happened, preferably in California, where the immigrant was granted a green card, in order to establish precedence.

Last edited:

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'm a Brazilian national that married an American for a green card. It turns out he was married before he and I got married, and they never got divorced (I was unaware of the prior marriage), so a state of bigamy was established, and thus my marriage to him, in immigration's eyes, is null and void. My question: has anyone here ever come across this type of situation? I'm trying to find a case where this has happened, preferably in California, where the immigrant was granted a green card, in order to establish precedence.
So let me make sure I understand you ...You fraudulently married a US citizen in order to obtain a green card but he was already married. So now you are looking for case law that would allow you to obtain citizenship under these circumstances???

Brahahahahahahahahahahahah....

Not going to happen.

mi_california

Both of you-

I never admitted to doing anything, fraudulently or not, besides marrying someone. You'll have to either find it in your hearts to forgive me for not having flawless English or you'll have to find a new board to post on, as you clearly should not be on a board where you deal with people who speak English as a second language. Bit like having no patience for children and electing to work in a daycare center. :)

My ex-husband never told me he was married before. The first wife never got the divorce, eventually immigration found out and because of the resulting bigamy that he committed, I'm screwed. The judge said if I can find a similar case in order to establish precedence, in the same state (not sure why that matters, as immigration is a federal issue, but what the judge says goes, I suppose), then I may be able to get my ten year card as I already had the two year card. My two year card was nearly expired, so I applied for the ten year card, USCIS called me in for another interview, and when I got there, they told me about the prior marriage.

mi_california

Ummm...yeah you did.
Not all languages use the words "to" "for" and "through" and other similar words in the same way. For instance, we say "listen on" when in English you say "listen to". The idea is the same but it doesn't translate exactly.

Again, pardon me for being a non-native speaker. Not sure if you got the memo but not everyone on the planet speaks English, especially in an immigration forum. Now can anyone get over this and give me some sort of advice?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">