• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

biometrics interview

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anju.sen

What is the name of your state? WI
Dear ImmigAttyLana,
I have been seeking advice from you since the last couple of mths and have always followed your advice.I applied for removal of conditions on my conditional residence status jointly with my husband ,recently.I promptly received the receipt I-797C etending my work and travel for a year.
I travelled to my home country with my conditional green card and the receipt a few days back.for a month's vacation.My card still has 2mths to expire.
My husband in the U.S. just received a letter from the USCIS stating that I appear for biometrics in the local usicis office in a week's time.As I have just arrived in my home counrtry it is not so easy to get back in a week's time. The letter states that I can also reschedule my appointment for boimetrics.
My question is .....will rescheduling adversely affect my application for the permanent greencard? Can I reschedule the appointment after a mth's time.I'll be back in July. Please advise as I'm very worried.
Will it affect my re -entry into the U.S?

ImmigAttyLana

No, it will not adversely impact your petition but it will delay it somewhat since security clearance checks cannot be started until after you are fingerprinted. You can request the rescheduling by explaining that you are currently out of the country but you cannot request a specific date for the new biometrics. However, if you explain when you are due to return, the USCIS may accommodate your request and reschedule it for a time when you are back in the US.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

evcalyptos

No, it will not adversely impact your petition but it will delay it somewhat since security clearance checks cannot be started until after you are fingerprinted. You can request the rescheduling by explaining that you are currently out of the country but you cannot request a specific date for the new biometrics. However, if you explain when you are due to return, the USCIS may accommodate your request and reschedule it for a time when you are back in the US.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
Or, she could find herself excluded. This thread was very interesting; how would you advise someone after reading this?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438789&

Received letter giving 5 days notice to attend biometrics appointment while I was in England. Was advised to write a letter explaining situation so that the appointment could be rescheduled - this letter was hand delivered by my husband and the officer confirmed it was not a problem to do this.

My husband and I were in England when his family advised a letter had arrived stating that I had failed to attend the appointment (no mention of the appointment being rescheduled), that my application was denied and I was to immediately surrender my GC and that there was no appeal procedure!

My husband has now returned to the US without me .. assuming that I would be red flagged and denied entry .. he will be visiting their offices to explain the situation in the hope that they will issue a new appointment and allow my application to proceed.

Has anyone any experience or knowledge of this situation? Obviously, I'm hoping that this situation can be turned around ... or is it more likely that I will now find myself having to apply for a spouse visa from scratch before being able to re-enter the US?
Clearly this isn't the norm, but read the thread and see how the USC spouse has ended up in front of a IJ fighting off a 10-year ban on his wife's return!

In related news, a story in yesterday's paper about how "immigration judges" have been purely political appointments over the past few years, filled by folk who have never practiced immigration law and were in fact denied Tax Court positions for... cheating on their own taxes!
sigh.

anju.sen

Regarding the biometrics interview....

Dear ImmigAttyLana,
I just read your reply and hope that my appointment is rescheduled.I read the reply sent by Eucalyptus too about someone having a bad experience and I'm confused.Will this affect my reentry to the U.S?I'm planning to be back in a mth's time. I have both my green card and the receipt extending my travel by a year. I cannot understand how the petition can be rejected and whyone has to surrender the green card and start from scratch...when all our papers are in order.
My husband just sent the request to the local uscis office stating that I'm currently out of the country and requesting for a new date after I'm back.What else does he need to do? Does he need to talk to the immigration officer in poerson or send another letter to the uscis main service centre? Pl.advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">