• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Birth Abroad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gennell73

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Hello I recently got Sole custody of my 12 year old Canadian daughter. I was wondering if we meet the requirements for her to be a US citizen by birth.

I was born in Massachusetts and lived there until I was 29 yearsold. I married my Canadian husband (we are now divorced) in Canada in May of 2002. but I had to temporarily leave Canada for 2 and a half months to reside with my father in New Hampshire. In November I returned to Canada to be with my husband, in February of 2003 I conceived my daughter and she was born in October 2003. Not able to keep renewing My work permit and my son's study permits my american son and i returned to the US in June 2010. We have been living here ever since. Do my daughter and I meet the requirements for her to be a US citizen by birth?

My daughter is being sent to me in a few weeks as she has been removed from her father's custody by Canadian Social services, and I will need to enroll her in the middle school in my area.I want everything done legally with out any issues.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Hello I recently got Sole custody of my 12 year old Canadian daughter. I was wondering if we meet the requirements for her to be a US citizen by birth.

I was born in Massachusetts and lived there until I was 29 yearsold. I married my Canadian husband (we are now divorced) in Canada in May of 2002. but I had to temporarily leave Canada for 2 and a half months to reside with my father in New Hampshire. In November I returned to Canada to be with my husband, in February of 2003 I conceived my daughter and she was born in October 2003. Not able to keep renewing My work permit and my son's study permits my american son and i returned to the US in June 2010. We have been living here ever since. Do my daughter and I meet the requirements for her to be a US citizen by birth?

My daughter is being sent to me in a few weeks as she has been removed from her father's custody by Canadian Social services, and I will need to enroll her in the middle school in my area.I want everything done legally with out any issues.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Your daughter was born to a US citizen and you should be able to register her as a US citizen. The first thing that you want to do is get her a Social Security card. Once you have done that you need to apply for a passport for her. You could also talk to the US Consulate in the area of Canada where you lived, and see if they will register her birth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">