• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bring alcohol from europe to usa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andvarifatimaj

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I have a question and pardon me if I put this question in the wrong location

I am sure that if you bring alcohol to the USA from EUROPE that it will be confiscated but my question is that what is a 17 year old is caught with alcohol in his luggage? What happens to the alcohol and him? Thanks

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I have a question and pardon me if I put this question in the wrong location

I am sure that if you bring alcohol to the USA from EUROPE that it will be confiscated but my question is that what is a 17 year old is caught with alcohol in his luggage? What happens to the alcohol and him? Thanks
No, alcohol will not be confiscated unless it exceeds the legal limit that you are permitted to carry in, and even then it won't actually be confiscated you just have to pay custom's duty on it. However, if you are a minor that is different. They will confiscate it from minors...or at least they did 37 years ago when they confiscated it from me....LOL.

andvarifatimaj

Thanks for that information. He is legally allowed to drink in Europe, just not in USA. Now let's say they find it an confiscate it. Are there any other ramifications? He wouldnt have to pay fines or get arrested will he? Reason I ask is because under normal circumstances in the USA, any minor caught with alcohol, whether they are simply transporting it or not can get in serious trouble. Not sure if the same applies. Thanks.

justalayman

if you know it's going to be a problem, why not prevent the problem and not let him carry booze. It is illegal for anybody under 21 to have booze, in most situations, in the US.

I suspect (and only a suspicion) that until he is formally "in the US" which customs inspect is kind of a no mans land, it may be simply that the booze is confiscated as he would not be allowed to have it in the US.

LdiJ

Thanks for that information. He is legally allowed to drink in Europe, just not in USA. Now let's say they find it an confiscate it. Are there any other ramifications? He wouldnt have to pay fines or get arrested will he? Reason I ask is because under normal circumstances in the USA, any minor caught with alcohol, whether they are simply transporting it or not can get in serious trouble. Not sure if the same applies. Thanks.
Like I said, they only confiscated it from me. There were no other ramifications, but that was 38 or so years ago.

justalayman

You are asking about a situation where they "don't find it". If you are suggesting he refuse to declare an item when asked, then the possibilities change. That is smuggling and it does become a crime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">