• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I keep my maiden name after marriage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qingqing

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

hi guys...I came to US with a fiancee's visa and married my hubby last year. I'm still in the process of AOS. This is what I encountered at DMV last week and need your advice and help.

I passed the road test and went to get the license issued. The clerk there insisted that I should follow my husband's last name or they couldn't issue me a license. Both my hubby and I were really confused and upset as we'd never heard of the enforcement of taking husband's last name. I applied for SSN, I 485, AP and EAD all with my maiden name and I have no intention and will to change my surname to my husband's. Hubby told her under no law was I forced to take his surname. However, she wouldn't listen. She said I had to get a court order indicating I could keep my maiden name.

I came back hoping I could find some info regarding the women's right to retain their maiden name but so far nothing has happened.

If any of you who has similar experience or relevant knowledge, pls let me know. I really appreciate it. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">