• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I marry Mexican lady...criminal record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BrainWorm

Texas.

Hello. I am an American citizen, born and raised in this country. I served in the military for a couple of years, receiving a general discharge.

I had a conviction for shoplifting a few years ago. It shows up on my record today.

I live near the Mexican border. I have known a woman there for some time, and we love each other and want to marry.

My question is this: will my criminal record keep us from being able to legally marry in the United States?

Thanks.

evcalyptos

Texas.

Hello. I am an American citizen, born and raised in this country. I served in the military for a couple of years, receiving a general discharge.

I had a conviction for shoplifting a few years ago. It shows up on my record today.

I live near the Mexican border. I have known a woman there for some time, and we love each other and want to marry.

My question is this: will my criminal record keep us from being able to legally marry in the United States?

Thanks.
No, that charge will not interfere with your ability to get married, or, more importantly, to sponsor your wife to live in the US, if that is your goal.

If you do want her to move here, please strongly consider the fiance visa approach instead of getting married first. The wait times for Mexico are much shorter for fiances at the moment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">