• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a naturalized US citizen work for federal government ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

naturalized

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? US Federal Gov.

I am a naturalized US Citizen and last night we were talking about the immigration issues with my girlfriend, who is a born US citizen and a state government employee. She told me that I can not get a job with US Federal government, such as those of CIA, FBI, TSA etc. and it sounded weird to me. I know to become a US president, you have to have been born in the USA, but I Was not aware of any other jobs that would require being born as a US citizen.

Is this the truth or she has some misconception about federal government jobs ?

FlyingRon

Technically, there is no distinction between natural born vs. naturalized citizenship for anybody other than the president.

For the agencies she was referring to the big issue is obtaining the security clearance necessary to work there. Someone who might have existing allegiences to a foreign country would certainly have problems with that. Claiming any foreign nationality is certainly an outright bar for some of the clearances. Of course, a natural born US citizen can have the same issues. Technicaly, I'm eligible for Irish citizenship even though I've never set foot in the country.

I know several people who are naturalized US citizens with full up TS/SCI clearances so it is not an outright bar.

naturalized

Technically, there is no distinction between natural born vs. naturalized citizenship for anybody other than the president.

For the agencies she was referring to the big issue is obtaining the security clearance necessary to work there. Someone who might have existing allegiences to a foreign country would certainly have problems with that. Claiming any foreign nationality is certainly an outright bar for some of the clearances. Of course, a natural born US citizen can have the same issues. Technicaly, I'm eligible for Irish citizenship even though I've never set foot in the country.

I know several people who are naturalized US citizens with full up TS/SCI clearances so it is not an outright bar.
That's what I thought too. My citizenship by birth is from a country which is considered to be a friend to US and I held clearances, which enabled me to work in military related facilities where US had interest. I have never been a member or association with any terror organization or similar as far as my friends go to deprive me from a security clearance.

I was reading about the issue of allegiance to other countries but again look at some US born El-Kaide members. It is not the allegiance to another nation it is the commitment to the free world idea, which should qualify one for a clearance or not. I am not saying our government is the best when it comes to selecting the right person for a position and this presents extra hurdle to someone like myself but knowing there is a light at the end of the tunnel is good for me.

Thanks

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? US Federal Gov.

I am a naturalized US Citizen and last night we were talking about the immigration issues with my girlfriend, who is a born US citizen and a state government employee. She told me that I can not get a job with US Federal government, such as those of CIA, FBI, TSA etc. and it sounded weird to me. I know to become a US president, you have to have been born in the USA, but I Was not aware of any other jobs that would require being born as a US citizen.

Is this the truth or she has some misconception about federal government jobs ?
She is mistaken.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">