• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can we apply for a joint tax return?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

b0rn2win

Hi, I entered the country summer 2015 with J1 visa. That was my 3rd year. I got married on June 2015. Still waiting for my green card. My husband is american. Can he apply for a joint tax return and how does this work?

FlyingRon

Hi, I entered the country summer 2015 with J1 visa. That was my 3rd year. I got married on June 2015. Still waiting for my green card. My husband is american. Can he apply for a joint tax return and how does this work?
He doesn't have to "apply" for anything. He and you must file your 2015 tax return (that's the one due April 18 this year) as either Married-Filing Jointly or Maried-Filing Separately. That's the only option for someone who is married

LdiJ

If you already have a social security number then you can just file. If you do not have a social security number he can file for a ITIN (individual taxpayer identification number) for you along with the tax return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">