• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can your sponsor withdraw or cancel the I-864 affidavit of support ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seawalls

What is the name of your state? Florida

Once you have landed in the US, received your Permanent Resident Card, if you and your spouse [ whose sister signed the I-864 support affidavit ] are divorced, can her sister withdraw support for you her ex-husband or is she still responsible for 10 years ? If she can withdraw her sponsorship then will I have to find a new sponsor ?

evcalyptos

seawalls said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

Once you have landed in the US, received your Permanent Resident Card, if you and your spouse [ whose sister signed the I-864 support affidavit ] are divorced, can her sister withdraw support for you her ex-husband or is she still responsible for 10 years ? If she can withdraw her sponsorship then will I have to find a new sponsor ?
No, divorce does not end the obligation of the I-864. Neither does "10 years", although a lot of people think that is so.

There are several ways for her obligation to you to end (visit travel.state.gov for a list), but divorce is definately not one of them.

Your bigger issue may be Removal of Conditions, if you were married less than 2 years when you became a PR (entered the US). Divorce may send you back home, if you don't look out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">