• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Canadian/American marriage in US

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

keef

im a canadian citizen...wanting to marry my boyfriend who is american. Im in the US already, on visiting terms..(no visa) and i want to stay here with him in Denver CO. We want to get married here, but dont want to risk me having to go back for an indefinite period of time. what risks are involved with getting married here in colorado,, as far as being sent back,,, how would i legally be allowed to start working here,, and when could i start working,,, i have 3 degrees that i cannot use right now,, what steps do we take,,,from getting married to after were married and getting me to work,,, also how can i go back to canada and still be allowed to return before marraige,,, ugh,, please help

LegalBeagle

keef said:
im a canadian citizen...wanting to marry my boyfriend who is american. Im in the US already, on visiting terms..(no visa) and i want to stay here with him in Denver CO. We want to get married here, but dont want to risk me having to go back for an indefinite period of time. what risks are involved with getting married here in colorado,, as far as being sent back,,, how would i legally be allowed to start working here,, and when could i start working,,, i have 3 degrees that i cannot use right now,, what steps do we take,,,from getting married to after were married and getting me to work,,, also how can i go back to canada and still be allowed to return before marraige,,, ugh,, please help
You are asking way to many questions here.. The proper way to do this is via a K1 fiance visa. When you entered the US, you basically 'promised' you were only visited and will leave. When you marry and decide to stay, you are effectively creating visa fraud. However, this is one area the INS are not solid to enforce.

So, you marry and then file I-130, I-131, I-765, I-864 & I-485 with the INS.. adjust your status, wait a few months for the work authorization and on you go..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">