• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cap on fees charged by legal document assistants?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Boudreau C

What is the name of your state? California

We had a legal document assistant help us file our visa application and have since been informed that we were overcharged. Is it true that legal document assistants cannot charge more than $400 for services assisting with immigration paperwork in the state of California? If so, is there any remedy we can seek?

HomeGuru

Boudreau C said:
What is the name of your state? California

We had a legal document assistant help us file our visa application and have since been informed that we were overcharged. Is it true that legal document assistants cannot charge more than $400 for services assisting with immigration paperwork in the state of California? If so, is there any remedy we can seek?
**A: that's not true. My friends paid $1200 in cash. Of course some of that money went to pay off the INS worker.

nextwife

Well, I prepaired my daughters VISA application for free, so she got a pretty good deal. Of course, INS would not have liked the way a two year old would have completed it.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nextwife said:
Well, I prepaired my daughters VISA application for free, so she got a pretty good deal. Of course, INS would not have liked the way a two year old would have completed it.

My response:

That's absolutely true. The INS has a difficult time with forms that have been filled out in crayon, and other multi-colored markers. They also have trouble with children not being able to stay within the lines.

While they will accept such completed forms, it has a tendency to delay the final outcome.

Children, however, don't care. First, they're uneducated, and second, they have all the time in the world to wait.

But, be warned - - drool is "cause" for automatic rejection.

[Please reference these Rules, and others, at 72USC1837]

IAAL

nextwife

:D

They especially don't like when the apple juice drips made the pages stick together. It makes processing more lengthy.

Thank you ever so much for posting the rules numbers for future reference. They are hard to loacte otherwise!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">