• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing j1 sponsor and related issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

puuul

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY
I want to change my J1 sponsor from my current university to another university. I have an awful boss and I managed to talk to the dean of the department and it seems that I can go on with changing the sponsor. Now I have the following questions:
1- We know that if the program is not finished even on his/her own wish the J1 needs to leave the country immediately and this can jeopardize the future visa applications. Now suppose I ask my current sponsor to release my SEVIS records on 15th of march, so that the next university can process with the DS2019 on april 15th (which means they give me the DS2019 starting on april 15th, I assume a 30days window to process the forms and ...). Now can I quit after the release of SEVIS (march 15th) or my program needs to be continued until my next program is started?
2- Same goes on if the current adviser wants to fire me after the SEVIS record is released from my current sponsor, what happens then?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY
I want to change my J1 sponsor from my current university to another university. I have an awful boss and I managed to talk to the dean of the department and it seems that I can go on with changing the sponsor. Now I have the following questions:
1- We know that if the program is not finished even on his/her own wish the J1 needs to leave the country immediately and this can jeopardize the future visa applications. Now suppose I ask my current sponsor to release my SEVIS records on 15th of march, so that the next university can process with the DS2019 on april 15th (which means they give me the DS2019 starting on april 15th, I assume a 30days window to process the forms and ...). Now can I quit after the release of SEVIS (march 15th) or my program needs to be continued until my next program is started?
2- Same goes on if the current adviser wants to fire me after the SEVIS record is released from my current sponsor, what happens then?

There's some decent info here: http://j1visa.state.gov/participants/how-to-apply/about-ds-2019/

puuul

Well there is no info in the link regarding my questions. The link talks about some general rules

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">