• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cheating sponsor husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

StepmomPA

What is the name of your state? PA

Does anyone have any experience with cheating sponsoring spouses? My sister has been married for 3 1/2 years and now suspects her US citizen husband of cheating on her. Her paperwork is not completed - the condition (marriage) has not been removed yet. She does not want to stay married to him if this is the case, but how does the INS handle this kind of situation? What does she have to do???
Please help. Difficult situation and no lawyer has been able to give her an answer. ( 5 so far)
Thank you!

S

Samlee

how long untill she gets her papers. i think that when you file papers threw marriage that means you are married. if they seperate that might cause some trouble with ins. you could call ins for her and just ask what if this was the case what would they do. or maybe her husband would agree to stay together for the papers and they could both live seperate lives together. even still i don't know her husband and if ins was okay with them seperating and still filing papers if she confronted him about it, would he get defenssive and cancel the papers? if i was her i would just stick it out untill i got the papers after all she should get something for being married to a pig.

LegalBeagle

StepmomPA said:
What is the name of your state? PA

Does anyone have any experience with cheating sponsoring spouses? My sister has been married for 3 1/2 years and now suspects her US citizen husband of cheating on her. Her paperwork is not completed - the condition (marriage) has not been removed yet. She does not want to stay married to him if this is the case, but how does the INS handle this kind of situation? What does she have to do???
Please help. Difficult situation and no lawyer has been able to give her an answer. ( 5 so far)
Thank you!
More than likely she would be able to stay.. but unless he is beating her, it is not worth the risk. Gather evidence, store away some money and wait for the card.

J

Jocelyne

Does she want to stay in the US? If doesn't all she has to do is tell INS she doesn't want to marry this person anymore and to stop processing all the paperwork and it will end. She will have to return home of course. If she wants to stay in the country she'll have to find a job that will sponsor her on a work visa to stay or find some other type of visa to stay on. Good luck.

pnice

She can get a divorce from him and may apply for a waiver to the joint filing requirement. It says it on the I-751 form. You have to prove you entered into the marriage in good faith, but the marriage was later terminated due to divorce or annulment. But it will be up to her to prove that she entered into the marriage in good faith and was not for the purpose of cirumventing immigration laws. Hope this helps.

M

mommytoro

Who knows if the marriage was entered into good faith. As far as I am concerned over 70% are not. I am a U.S. citizen and a victim of abuse from my South American husband. Married 3 years seperated twice. He only wants his ticket to freedom. Although my problem is my 2 yr old with him. He threatens if I leave he will take her to Colombia. What says this lady posting this thread was never in love with her husband. She may just be looking for excuses to rid of him and get her ticket to freedom too. She will probably like most others when she gets her green card, file for divorce the next day and presto she used and now she has what she wanted.

abezon

Get the kid's passport and keep it in your safe deposit box. Ask the court to make him surrender his passport when he visits the kid. Or move to another state & don't tell him where you went.

M

mommytoro

My husband does not have his passport and won't have it for some time now. He was in Krome and he has a long road ahead of him with court dates etc. before he gets it back. If he does not behave, he will soon be back in his country.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">