• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citizen Wants To Marry And Bring Foreigner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

avanegas

NEW JERSEY. I'm a U.S. Citizen and would like to bring my ecuadorian future wife. I'll marry her soon,in Ecuador (South America), and would like to be able to bring her with me at that time. As you can understand, it would be painful to leave her behind. What are the steps I need to follow to ensure that I can bring her with me after our honeymoon? Thank you.

S

smilygo

You need to file a petition on behalf of your wife. She has to wait for her greencard in Ecuador, though. It could take 12 months for her to get her greencard. If you don't like that, then you should apply for a fiance visa. Waiting time is shorter, but you perhaps need to marry her after she arrives at US. If you marry her in Ecuador, she is no longer your fiance. She is your spouse. Fiance visa doesn't seem to be right for a spouse. You should consult an attorney. I bet things are chepaer in Ecuador (here in US, it is costly to consult with an attorney.).

F

fieldtech03

The INS form I-130 petition for alien relative would need to be filed at the US consulate in Ecuador.

She would have to wait for the approval in Ecuador, which could take a year, but from what I've heard (and what someone I know went thorugh) an I-130 for a marriage abroad gets processed much faster than one done domestically. That's not a guarantee, just they way it tends to work.

As far as a K fiancee visa, you would have to first get that approved, then bring her here and marry her, but I think she can stay while the I-130 is processed (if she is here already when you marry her and file the I-130, you also have to file I-485 to adjust her status from K-1 to permanent residency, I believe).

Check out the INS website:

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/services/residency/index.htm

good luck!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

avanegas said:
NEW JERSEY. I'm a U.S. Citizen and would like to bring my ecuadorian future wife. I'll marry her soon,in Ecuador (South America), and would like to be able to bring her with me at that time. As you can understand, it would be painful to leave her behind. What are the steps I need to follow to ensure that I can bring her with me after our honeymoon? Thank you.

My response:

Wouldn't it be better, and wouldn't you feel more comfortable, by staying in Ecuador?

It's a beautiful country, and you wouldn't be causing your wife grief by taking her away from the rest of her 345 relatives.

Seriously, move there.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">