• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

citizenship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Maria Sindora

What is the name of your state? NJ
is there a law stating that a person with a green card over 7 years cannot be refused citizenship?:confused:

F

fieldtech03

Not that I've ever heard of. As far as I know anyone who is not born in the US CAN be denied citizenship. I've heard there is a certain amount of time you have to be a resident before you are eligible to apply for citizenship though.
Has your application been denied for some reason?

M

Maria Sindora

citizenship requirements

I have a client who has been in this country fro 7 years on a green card. He is facing a conviction for theft. INA section 212 states that to be deported a person who has 7 or more years in this country must be convicted of an aggravated felony-do you know what determines "aggravated felony"?

C

cindywy

I think you have to check with your state laws to see what the definition of "aggravated felony". I think each state has different defintions, dont they?

M

Maria Sindora

aggravated felony

Wouldn't I need a federal definition? INA codes are federal law.

F

fieldtech03

FYI, you will probably get a more relevant response on a Criminal Law BBS, you seem to already know what the requirements for his deportaion are - an aggravated felony conviction.

Try the Criminal Law section of this forum, they will be able to be of more help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">