• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

citizenship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shimaa2005

What is the name of your state (only U.I am an Iraqi who lived in Canada for 5 years and acquired its citizenship, then I got married to a US citizen and came to live in USA and have been residing here for the last five years. Can I be a US citizen with two other nationalities of should I drop one? If so can I renounce my birth nationality instead of the Canadian?

Thanks

Shima

FlyingRon

You oath of citizenship in the US requires you to renounce allegiences to foreign states and princes. Of course, that's largely a spurious statement. You're not required to renounce your other citizenships either prior (which you'd be ill-advised to do, essentially a man without a country) or afterwards.

You'll have to check with your other countries to find out if being naturalized in the US will renounce your foreign citizenship. Canada does NOT have this feature. You didn't mention where else you have citizenship (though I doubt I'd have that information anyhow). Of course, most states allow you to renounce your citizenship if you choose.

If you get US citizenship, you're free to maintain your other citizenships, travel on their passports, etc.. with the exception that you MUST use your US passport to enter the US.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">