• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

citizenship application and criminal record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GI_Holmes

ive been in the us for about 6 years, i havent left the country at all. my question is how is my criminal record can affect my citizenship. First of all when i was 17 i got disorderly misconduct for shoplifting. I understand since i was underage it doesn't stay on my record? When I joined the army reserve i told them about that conviction, but they told me they couldn't find any records of it.
Then a couple of months ago i was arrested on misdemeanor posession of cocain charges, when cops found less then a gram laying on the ground in front of me and a couple of my friends. I got 2 months ACD with community service. From what i understand ACD is not a conviction, and doesn't stay on your record.
So my question is, when i fill out the citizenship application, what should i put on there? They have a question that asks if you have ever been arrested, and asking to explain the circumstances. Should i tell them everything that happened (and if i do would any of that be a problem with getting a citizenship), or should i omitt certain things? How many details can they look up? I know that lying on the application is probably worse then doing a lot of stuff, thats why i need to know for sure. Would they make me take a drug test if i told them i was arrested for the posession of cocain?
btw im still in the army reserve. I can go and die for this country, yet i can't vote.
i live in upstate new york.

A

ajolie

Here is a good one for you. My little brother came to the states when he was 4yr olds with all his family. He was arrested twice for burlary and credit card fraud when he was 17 yrs olds. He did two years in juvenile center and got a criminal record. His charges was a misdeamenor NOT even felony. He has not done anything wrong since then BUT three years ago when he applied for his citizenship the INS turned him down. They told him that even though his juvenile records was expundge but it doesn't mean that he is clean. The INS only grant citizenship to people that have never got in trouble with the law. The INS have a way to pull up those old records no matter how long it was. Sorry, but your chance of getting the citizenship is very slim.

G

GI_Holmes

yeah

I see what you are saying, however, my criminal record consitst of disorderly conduct and an ACD. Both are violations and not convictions. There is a big diffence between that and spending 2 years in juvy beacuse of cc fraud. Anyway I am going to cosult with a lawer who knows what he is talking about before I submit the application.

A

ajolie

Yes, I think you need to consult an immigration lawyer. I also spoke with one last week and she told me that if you was convicted at a younger age and it was not an aggravate felony, you may have a chance to get your citizenship. Since you were not convicted of any crime, there is a possibility that the INS will allow you to get your citizenship. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">