• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citizenship application denied even passed the citisenship test?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

My mom is from China, she is near 80 year old and had severe hearing loss. Her read and write ability are relatively OK, but almost no ability to speak or listen even before her hearing loss. She spent more than a year to prepare the citizenship tests using audio training systems on the computer. So she can merely understand some key words and then guess most of the spoken questions. So she managed to pass her citizenship tests including US history in the first interview, but she couldn't hear any more questions in the later interview, and the interview couldn't continue. The officer suggested her to get a medical waiver. So we did get a medical waiver form N648 and signed by her doctor. Last week, we went to the interview again, but met a different officer. We provided the form. The officer still asked questions, my mom just couldn't hear and the interview still couldn't continue. The officer was frustrated and even refuse to listen to my explanation (I was allowed inside). Later the office's supervisor came in, also suggested to let pass. The officer said he didn't believe as he saw my mom and I can talk (I need to speak to her really loud in near distance, but this doesn't allow her to understand the language she never spoke before). The office told us this application was denied.

My mom was very sad. I am not sure if we can appeal or do something else, otherwise we accept the application rejection.

Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

My mom is from China, she is near 80 year old and had severe hearing loss. Her read and write ability are relatively OK, but almost no ability to speak or listen even before her hearing loss. She spent more than a year to prepare the citizenship tests using audio training systems on the computer. So she can merely understand some key words and then guess most of the spoken questions. So she managed to pass her citizenship tests including US history in the first interview, but she couldn't hear any more questions in the later interview, and the interview couldn't continue. The officer suggested her to get a medical waiver. So we did get a medical waiver form N648 and signed by her doctor. Last week, we went to the interview again, but met a different officer. We provided the form. The officer still asked questions, my mom just couldn't hear and the interview still couldn't continue. The officer was frustrated and even refuse to listen to my explanation (I was allowed inside). Later the office's supervisor came in, also suggested to let pass. The officer said he didn't believe as he saw my mom and I can talk (I need to speak to her really loud in near distance, but this doesn't allow her to understand the language she never spoke before). The office told us this application was denied.

My mom was very sad. I am not sure if we can appeal or do something else, otherwise we accept the application rejection.

Thanks.
Your mom tried to fake it and it didn't work. Sorry.

If there is anyone who can post some good advice, please do. My mom needs help, she couldn't communicate with the officer because her hearing loss. Her doctor proves she has long history of hearing loss. The hearing center doctor tried to use best hearing aid device, but not working well. This is known to doctor for years.

Zigner, thank you if you can stop posting such advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If there is anyone who can post some good advice, please do. My mom needs help, she couldn't communicate with the officer because her hearing loss. Her doctor proves she has long history of hearing loss. The hearing center doctor tried to use best hearing aid device, but not working well. This is known to doctor for years.
But, you said that she can't understand the language, even if it's spoken loudly enough for her to hear...

Ahh, you'd rather hear advice that's all warm and fuzzy. You would want to head over to www.warmandfuzzyfluff.com for that.

Just Blue

Perhaps Mom can learn to sign in English. That may help her attain her goal.:)

We appealed using additional supporting documentations including lab test results of past 5 years and multiple reports from different doctors that all indicated that she had severe hearing loss conditions. We were told these evidence with N648 has been reviewed and accepted. So my mom will have another chance to interview in early 2013.

So my question is now, if they accept N648, what will happen during the interview? Do they allow interpreter or allow her read the questions in the interview?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">