• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citizenship for Child Born Abroad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

advicesseeker

Hi all,
I would like to know how to proceed to get the citizenship for a child born abroad out of wedlock. We live in the Caribbean. His father is an American citizen. He refuses to legally recognize him so I tried to stablish the child support but could not complete the process because I needed a lawyer because there was a problem of jurisdiction since the minor does not live in the US. So, I signed an agreement with the father and he has been sending some money every month and I have the paternity test that were ordered by the US court when I initiated the petition for the child support. So, presenting the receipts from the remmittance company plus the DNA results, is it possible that I can request the citizenship for my baby boy here in the USA embassy in my home country?

t74

Informal (not court ordered or recognized) DNA tests are not likely to be acceptable in legal proceedings. At this time, your child does not have a legal father by US law. Get an attorney preferably one experienced in international child support and custody issues.

FlyingRon

We answered this in the other forum. If you have a DNA test that was used in a state court for paternity/support issues, that will probably be convincing evidence for your case. Go to the US embassy with your proof.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">