• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citizenship granted automatically?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gerhard Reissig

What is the name of your state? Colorado
My familiy emigrated to the US in 1958. The childred, both minors at the time of entry into the US, were listed on the Passports of the parents. In 1966, the parents were naturalized.

My question is: Does a minor automatically receive US citizenship when the passport holder is granted the privilege of citizenship?

ImmigAttyLana

Yes, typically, this is what happens although the children, in order to be able to apply for and obtain their own US passports, would need to file for a certificate of naturalization and provide proof of at least one parent naturalizing while the child was still under a certain age.

Gerhard Reissig

Thanks, Lana

Thank you for your reply. I, as the older of the two siblings in question, was over 16 years of age at the time the parents were naturalized, applied for and received US citizenship in 1975, as a member of the US Armed Forces.

Thanks again for your answer. I'll pass this on to my sister immediately.

Sincerely,
Gerhard Reissig

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">