• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citizenship with polygamy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mido

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma
My husband is married to two women, my citizenship application got denied for that, can I get divorced and appeal? I have already filed the N-400 and I have 30 days to file N-336 to get another hearing. Do I have a chance at a citizenship if I get divorced or ask my husband to divorce his other wife. will a lawyer help?

Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma
My husband is married to two women, my citizenship application got denied for that, can I get divorced and appeal? I have already filed the N-400 and I have 30 days to file N-336 to get another hearing. Do I have a chance at a citizenship if I get divorced or ask my husband to divorce his other wife. will a lawyer help?

Thank you
Who was he married to first?
Did this all occur in Oklahoma?

Mido

He was married to her first, I am the second wife. It all happened in Egypt. He is not the father of my son and I immigrated to the US (Oklahoma) 5 years ago through my son.

Zigner

He was married to her first, I am the second wife. It all happened in Egypt. He is not the father of my son and I immigrated to the US (Oklahoma) 5 years ago through my son.
Where is HE?

Mido

My husband is in Egypt and not planning on coming to the USA. He is not a US citizen or a permanent resident. He has never been to the U.S.

Zigner

My husband is in Egypt and not planning on coming to the USA. He is not a US citizen or a permanent resident. He has never been to the U.S.
From my (admittedly limited) Googling, it appears that Polygamy is legal in Egypt. I would suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney and family law attorney about your situation - the help you need is beyond that of an online forum. Best of luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">