• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

citizenship question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cheez

What is the name of your state? MN

Hi,
I'm a Permanent Resident (since 1994) applying for my US citizenship.
I'm currently filling out my application, and I'm stuck at the "Good Moral Character" part.
Basically, I'm not sure what to answer because it's asking if I've ever committed a crime. Well , in 1996, I was put on probation for (a phone card) theft. (I'll skip the details)
By the way, this happened in Tennessee and I was 19 years old.

Considering this is a crime/felony according to the law, I believe. Now I'm afraid this will affect my chances of getting my citizenship.
Help!
what do I answer?
will it really affect my chances?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

SHORTY LONG

What is the name of your state? MN

Hi,
I'm a Permanent Resident (since 1994) applying for my US citizenship.
I'm currently filling out my application, and I'm stuck at the "Good Moral Character" part.
Basically, I'm not sure what to answer because it's asking if I've ever committed a crime. Well , in 1996, I was put on probation for (a phone card) theft. (I'll skip the details)
By the way, this happened in Tennessee and I was 19 years old.

Considering this is a crime/felony according to the law, I believe. Now I'm afraid this will affect my chances of getting my citizenship.
Help!
what do I answer?
will it really affect my chances?
Thanks for the help!
You tell the TRUTH! Food for thought, if you lied, and get caught [which you would] then, what does
that say in itself about your character, and in being accountable for your own actions?

If, this is all you have as far as a criminal record goes, then given the length of time,
and presuming you have turned your life away from crime, you should be OK.

cheez

yeah, my real question was just, how bad it was going to affect my chances of getting my citizenship?
I wasn't planning on lying about it.
I was just wondering what my options were(if I had any), such as getting an attorney, or attach a letter, or something like that. I'm not even sure if any of that would be taken into considerations, that is why I ask.
And considering the degree of the crime, I didn't know if it was even worth the trouble.

Thanks for the help though.

and also, what's the difference between these 2 questions?
Have you ever been charged with committing any crime or offense?

Have you ever been convicted of a crime or offense?

And yes, this is all I have as far as criminal record goes.;)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">