• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clients Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

biglou422

Texas, My wife and I have been trying for the last 4 years to legalize her and the attorney we chose has only done the preparing of paperwork and placing our case on hold. We have had alot of financial issues due to me being the only one working. Now after 4 years of the attorney doing nothing we have decided to close the case and the attorneys para legal informed us that we would not get a refund. I don't think that this is fair because they are putting all of the blame on us and that is why they will not give us a refund. Is it fair for them to do this???

sandyclaus

Texas, My wife and I have been trying for the last 4 years to legalize her and the attorney we chose has only done the preparing of paperwork and placing our case on hold. We have had alot of financial issues due to me being the only one working. Now after 4 years of the attorney doing nothing we have decided to close the case and the attorneys para legal informed us that we would not get a refund. I don't think that this is fair because they are putting all of the blame on us and that is why they will not give us a refund. Is it fair for them to do this???
Have you paid in full for all the work done to date?
Were you asked to pay a retainer or any amounts in addition to thoae already paid for servicea provided to date?

It sounds to me like the work isn't done yet on their part, but that more money is needed to get to where your wife wants to be.

If they have done work on the case, then they have likely earned the fees paid so far. Just becauae they didn't FINISH doesn't mean earn what's been paid so far.

biglou422

Have you paid in full for all the work done to date?
Were you asked to pay a retainer or any amounts in addition to thoae already paid for servicea provided to date?

It sounds to me like the work isn't done yet on their part, but that more money is needed to get to where your wife wants to be.

If they have done work on the case, then they have likely earned the fees paid so far. Just becauae they didn't FINISH doesn't mean earn what's been paid so far.
There has been nothing done on the case besides them preparing the paperwork and placing the case on hold, the case was started in Feb. '09 and the money for the paper work was turned in a year later along with the paperwork. The reason for this was cause i was wanting to pay the attorney first and then pay for the paperwork, but due to an increase on the filing fees we were called in on March '10 and gave the money for the paperwork to be filed and we heard nothing from them for the next 10 months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">