• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Country of Residence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sanket Jain

Hi,
I am an Indian citizen. However, I was working in Switzerland for about a year before entering the USA last year. I am a graduate student in USA since September last year. My tax preparers requires me to inform them about the last country of residence before entering USA. In Switzerland, I had a residence permit to allow me to work. Does that mean I should fill in Switzerland as the last country of residence. If I do so, the software doesn't let me choose the $6200 deduction on taxable income allowed to Indian citizens via a treaty between USA and India. What are my options? Can I fill in India as the last country of residence before entering USA?

Thanks
Best Regards,
Sanket Jain

LdiJ

Hi,
I am an Indian citizen. However, I was working in Switzerland for about a year before entering the USA last year. I am a graduate student in USA since September last year. My tax preparers requires me to inform them about the last country of residence before entering USA. In Switzerland, I had a residence permit to allow me to work. Does that mean I should fill in Switzerland as the last country of residence. If I do so, the software doesn't let me choose the $6200 deduction on taxable income allowed to Indian citizens via a treaty between USA and India. What are my options? Can I fill in India as the last country of residence before entering USA?

Thanks
Best Regards,
Sanket Jain
Is this a US tax return you are preparing, and if so, what type of return is it? Realistically however, if its a US tax return your best bet would be to have your return prepared by a US tax professional who is experienced in dealing with the type of return that you need prepared. Software that is available to non-professionals is often not really able to deal with circumstances that are "outside the box"...and its possible that yours is "outside the box".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">