• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dating an illegal alien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wendala

What is the name of your state? GA

I was wondering if I should be concerned about pursuing a relationship with a man that I know is an illegal alien. What are the ramifications or possible problems I may encounter by dating him? Am I breaking any laws by being with him and knowing he is illegal? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

HomeGuru

wendala said:

I was wondering if I should be concerned about pursuing a relationship with a man that I know is an illegal alien. What are the ramifications or possible problems I may encounter by dating him? Am I breaking any laws by being with him and knowing he is illegal? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

**A: no, this is a free country for you, but not for him.

evcalyptos

wendala said:

Just be aware that for many "illegals", marriage to a US citizen is the only cure for their problem. This tends to cloud their judgement. Don't let other things cloud yours.
And you face the lurking danger that the next phone call you get will be him calling from detention aka jail.

You won't get in any legal trouble yourself, just for dating him, if that is what you mean to ask.

AHA

wendala said:

Well, he can be "found" and deported back home any time, so if you marry him and have his kids, you will risk ending up with the raising and financial responsibility on your own, because he won't be allowed back.
It's your decision to make.
Good luck.

jbiggie1985

Not Really..

I dont totally agree with that..
After marriage, he can apply for permanant residency due to a bonafide marriage to a US citizen. in most cases I know, even illegal immigrants are forgiven and allowed to permanant residency and later on citizenship. BUT, if he is in an illegal status now, the most important thing is that he should not go back to his home country i:e leave the US for any reason. because he will NOT be allowed back for 10 years if he does so. Hope this helps.

AHA said:
Well, he can be "found" and deported back home any time, so if you marry him and have his kids, you will risk ending up with the raising and financial responsibility on your own, because he won't be allowed back.
It's your decision to make.
Good luck.

AHA

jbiggie1985 said:
I dont totally agree with that..
After marriage, he can apply for permanant residency due to a bonafide marriage to a US citizen. in most cases I know, even illegal immigrants are forgiven and allowed to permanant residency and later on citizenship. BUT, if he is in an illegal status now, the most important thing is that he should not go back to his home country i:e leave the US for any reason. because he will NOT be allowed back for 10 years if he does so. Hope this helps.
If he entered the US illegally he can NOT become legal even by marriage to a USC unless he goes back home and files for visa and waiver etc etc.

jbiggie1985

I apologize for the confusion.

If he entered the US illegaly YES he will be sent back even after marriage. Unless he can prove lawful entry.

However, if he entered legally and has overstayed, that would be forgiven through a bonafide marriage to a USC.

Hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">