• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Delay in OPT approval BUT Starting WORK!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pkgal

What is the name of your state? OHIO

My OPT application was received on April 5th, and I was told that it would take between 75-90 days to complete processing my application. I checked the status online today (June 27th, 2005 -- 82 days later), and it says that I was sent a request on the 22nd of June for additional information. I still have not received this letter. I am currently in Ohio, and moving this weekend to New York. The start date for my work is the 5th of July. I am sure that after I receive the letter for additional information, the processing will take at least another two weeks (but I could be wrong). I really need help in this urgent matter. My work will be sponsoring me for my H-1B visa the first month that I start. I am thinking that this will be a problem, especially if I begin work before I receive my OPT. I am really panicking right now, and I would greatly appreciate any insight anyone can give me on this situation. THANKSSS in advance!

shuurik

I am sure that you cannot work under OPT before you get your approval. What you can do it talk to the employer and if they are willing to help you they might pay you cash until you get papers. But if it is highly unlikely, either they will have to wait. You might want to start working without official paycheck and without official start date. It all depends on your employer, if they are big corporation, it's very unlikely they will do something "illegal", but small company can help (which was my case).
Good luck.

pkgal

Thanks so much for the advice. It helps to hear what to do from someone who has experienced this before. I am still really stressed though. Any ideas on what I should say or how I should approach my company to ask them to delay my official start date/paycheck. I am afraid that they will take back their offer for this position if I approach them with this. I really appreciate the response.

shuurik

Depends on what kind of people they are. My boss was very understanding. I have a friend, and her work waited for 2-3 months! So, it all depends on them. You could tell them that before they start paying you (or before the start date) and while you are waiting for approval, which is supposed to arrive pretty soon, you can still come to work, and learn and get experience, so that when you officially start working you will be ahead of the game. Usually they wouldn't mind.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">