• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deportation while Conditional

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RobertG

What is the name of your state? Florida

Recently, my wife received a conditional green card based upon our marriage. Now, it is becoming apparent that she was only in the marriage for purposes of obtaining the green card. (had me fooled, although some of my friends saw right through her, but I didn't want to listen to them).

Anyways, if I divorce her, will she be deported? (parts of me would actually LIKE to see that happen). We're FAR from our 2-year anniversary of her green card, where it can become permanent.

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state? Florida

Recently, my wife received a conditional green card based upon our marriage. Now, it is becoming apparent that she was only in the marriage for purposes of obtaining the green card. (had me fooled, although some of my friends saw right through her, but I didn't want to listen to them).

Anyways, if I divorce her, will she be deported? (parts of me would actually LIKE to see that happen). We're FAR from our 2-year anniversary of her green card, where it can become permanent.

Search uscis.gov for 'how do I remove conditions' and you'll get the page explaining how an immigrant can remove the conditions herself if divorced.

She won't be deported.

If you have PROOF that she entered the marriage ONLY for the immigration benefit, pass it along to Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE), a branch of Homeland Security.

RobertG

Good Faith?

In the pages that you suggested I look into, it stated that if the marriage "was entered in good faith" she can apply even if we are divorced.

What has to be done to prove that it was not "in good faith?" *I* married her with the best of intentions, hoping for a happy marriage. But, I even got her to admit that it was only for the green card. (for instance, today, she said "we were only married on paper--it was not a real marriage")

Prior to our marriage, and even DURING our marriage, we had many discussions where I made it PERFECTLY clear to her that I do not agree with sham marriages in order to obtain a green card. I, in turn, did EVERYTHING (and even more, according to my friends--I put up with more than any other man would even consider) for her, trying to be a good husband. I would like to ensure that this non-law-abiding, lieing, manipulative, "user" does not receive the benefits of a green card by manipulating the system in America and winds up going back to her country, to live as a pauper (which is how she lived) with no real future.

evcalyptos

What has to be done to prove that it was not "in good faith?"
Maybe the better question to ask is "what does SHE need to have to show good faith"? If she does not have those documents, that might make a problem for her.

Otherwise, I'd have to refer you to an attorney. I've never seen attornies post that they do these sort of 'reverse' cases.
Maybe just lock the file cabinet and leave her to her own devices.

I'm sorry it didn't work out as planned for you. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">