• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Diorce- Immigration help needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bhavinp

Hi my sister is married to USC. She got 10 years of green card. And she arrived to states about 4 moths now. And she is been mentally and emptionally abused by entire family. She donot know english so she has developed phobia that if she complains it might go against her. And she is been victim of domestic violence, she cannot keep track of everything as she is been monitered for all her actions. And they keep threatening her telling that we will revoke you green card by complaining that you married because of green card and citizenship. But the marriage was done in good faith. Please guide me what can be done appropiate.

Proserpina

Hi my sister is married to USC. She got 10 years of green card. And she arrived to states about 4 moths now. And she is been mentally and emptionally abused by entire family. She donot know english so she has developed phobia that if she complains it might go against her. And she is been victim of domestic violence, she cannot keep track of everything as she is been monitered for all her actions. And they keep threatening her telling that we will revoke you green card by complaining that you married because of green card and citizenship. But the marriage was done in good faith. Please guide me what can be done appropiate.
The ONLY entity with the power to revoke a green-card is actually the government itself. Since she's already fulfilled their requirements, her husband's threats are empty and he cannot withdraw the I-864, either. They are bullying her and she needs to get out of there.

Help her get to a shelter in your area. If you can tell me your state (county would be really helpful) I can find some local links to help you out.

Bhavinp

Thank you

The ONLY entity with the power to revoke a green-card is actually the government itself. Since she's already fulfilled their requirements, her husband's threats are empty and he cannot withdraw the I-864, either. They are bullying her and she needs to get out of there.

Help her get to a shelter in your area. If you can tell me your state (county would be really helpful) I can find some local links to help you out.
She is in Virginia-emporia. They are abusing her and she can barely talk on phone with me. Whenever she does she whispers. And most of the time she ask relatives to hung up the call. She want to indicate that if anyone will see talking her with any family member back home. Then they moniter her and give her lot of sarcasm evey instance.

t74

If she were truly as fearful as you claim, keeping the green card would not be the top priority. Her safety and well-being would. If that means leaving the US, so be it. The willingness to remain with the threats do indicate her green card is more important than her marriage or safety.

If she is really in danger, she should call the police to assist her in leaving and going to a shelter. If her husband's family makes charges of marriage fraud against her, she can worry about the consequences at that time. The shelter will have resources to assist her with her legal problems.

Proserpina

She is in Virginia-emporia. They are abusing her and she can barely talk on phone with me. Whenever she does she whispers. And most of the time she ask relatives to hung up the call. She want to indicate that if anyone will see talking her with any family member back home. Then they moniter her and give her lot of sarcasm evey instance.
Thank you.

Okay. First we have this http://www.aardvarc.org/ which is not state-specific but is the best clearinghouse for domestic abuse information and the help you can get. Because you're probably going to be doing the legwork for her, please spend some time reading the topics at the left. They do have state links on the site but the VA link seems to be broken so I've taken the liberty of asking the director to take a look for me.

Here are some places you can either call or find online:

http://www.divorcesource.com/shelters/virginia.shtml

http://www.baddteddy.com/abuse/abuse_shelters_viriginia.html

Specific to Emporia:

https://www.womenshelters.org/cit/ks-emporia

http://www.healthinformation.vcu.edu/resources/emporia/

Let's start there for now. :)

Proserpina

If she were truly as fearful as you claim, keeping the green card would not be the top priority. Her safety and well-being would. If that means leaving the US, so be it. The willingness to remain with the threats do indicate her green card is more important than her marriage or safety.

If she is really in danger, she should call the police to assist her in leaving and going to a shelter. If her husband's family makes charges of marriage fraud against her, she can worry about the consequences at that time. The shelter will have resources to assist her with her legal problems.
I'm rendered speechless. And not in the good way. Congratulations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">