• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and Marriage Annulment with regards to Naturalization application

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uhuruniyetu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Just wondering if somebody can help me understand the difference between Divorce and Marriage Annulment with regards to Naturalization application. I want to apply for Naturalization/Citizenship based on me having my Green Card for over 5 yrs now (close to 10 yrs now). However, my green card was sponsored through marriage to a US citizen; marriage that ended in annulment instead of divorce. The petition for Dissolution of Marriage (which the annulment was based on) stated that the marriage was insupportable due to "discord or conflict of personalities". The annulment decree does not state any reason why annulment was awarded.

Will this be a problem for me when I apply for Naturalization? My fear is that the Immigration Officer may decide that my marriage was not real (since it was annulled) and recommend that my green card should be taken away. This is a real risk I fear.

Do you know a person who has successfully gone through Naturalization process after their marriage was annulled?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">