• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorcing a resident alien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Neko

Divorce/pending conditional resident

I am a U.S. citizen living in the Bay area who is married to a Canadian citizen for 3 and 1/2 years. We are good friends, but poor marriage mates.

He is currently a conditional resident and filed an I-751 seven months ago. We received notification of payment and that his form will take 40 days to 39 months to process.

If we get divorced before his application is processed will his petition for removal of conditional residence (I-751) be denied? He has a good job and life here and I don't want our divorce to put an end to it.

[Edited by Neko on 12-25-2000 at 11:01 PM]

LegalBeagle

Re: Divorce/pending conditional resident

Neko said:
I am a U.S. citizen living in the Bay area who is married to a Canadian citizen for 3 and 1/2 years. We are good friends, but poor marriage mates.

He is currently a conditional resident and filed an I-751 seven months ago. We received notification of payment and that his form will take 40 days to 39 months to process.

If we get divorced before his application is processed will his petition for removal of conditional residence (I-751) be denied? He has a good job and life here and I don't want our divorce to put an end to it.

[Edited by Neko on 12-25-2000 at 11:01 PM]
He can still continue with the application despite the divorce.. but the only way to be 100% sure is to not divorce. If you are good friends, then live apart but remain married... unless you have some burning desire to marry someone else..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">