• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorse and social security before green card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dymbow

What is the name of your state? pennsylvania
I am legally residing in the USA and am now seperated from my legal spouse. While married I applied for adjustment of staus that has not yet been processed. I have been issued a employment verification card from immigration but have not been given a social security number to enable me to work. I need to aquire this ASAP and also file for divorse. I think my x has done something to stop immigration from giving me my SS# and I would like to know what i need to do to become employed and how to continue this process without her support.

ImmigAttyLana

You can't continue the process without your spouse's support and especially if you get divorced because there is no basis for continuing a marriage-based adjustment of status without the marriage. Unless you can qualify as a battered spouse, there is no way for you to get a green card if you are no longer in a bona fide marriage relationship.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

dymbow

how can I work?

If i am not able to aquire a green card through marraige and I have been offered a job is there any way i can get my SS# to work. how else other then through marraige can I recieve either a green card or a working visa/ ss#/ valid employment authorization card?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">