• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I automatically lose U.S. citizenship if I get a foreign one?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alex1970

Good day,
I would like to know something very important for me.

Being ethnic German who were born in Russia and has solely a Russian citizenship, I have an opportunity to obtain a German citizenship in a course of a few weeks having received a special allowance from German officials (Aufnahmebescheid). Having this allowance, one does not have to give up his previous citizenship or citizenships. However, having been naturalised in Germany, one has no right for another naturalisation in a foreign country or else his German citizenship will be revoked.

I received this allowance this year and now I am planing to move to USA for good and to be eventually naturalised and, in order to get some benefits, I am also planning to become a citizen of Germany in future.
The only one thing which stops me from going to America is that I am not 100% sure whether it is possible for me to retain my future American citizenship by taking the German one.

Could you please clarify that matter? Thank you in advance.

FlyingRon

US citizenship can only be taken away by either a court order (in extraordinary circumstances, typically fraud in the naturalization process) or via you expressly following the process in the US to give it up. While the US Naturalization oath calls for you to "reject foreign princes, etc..." the laws have changed over time. The US no longer requires you to reject other citizenships in the naturalization process.

So yes, as far as the US is concerned, being a dual national is fine. All you need to is represent yourself as a US citizen when entering the US (i.e., you can't enter under your foreign passport).

Now I can't vouch for Germany or whatever other country you may be interested in. Some countries may indeed remove your citizenship if you naturallize in the US. Further your US citizenship may not mean anything to you if you get into some jam in the foreign country.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">