• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I Have Any Responsibility As a Translator for a Friend's Interview

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dspans39

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My friend is a U.S. citizen and he is married to a girl from another country, but both of them don't speak English that well. The government has requested some sort of interview regarding my friend's wife's Green Card (I think she wants to get one now that she is married to my friend) and the couple are asking me to come translate for them at this interview. If they lie about certain things, do I have any responsibility regardless of whether I knew they were lies or not?

Just Blue

My friend is a U.S. citizen and he is married to a girl from another country, but both of them don't speak English that well. The government has requested some sort of interview regarding my friend's wife's Green Card (I think she wants to get one now that she is married to my friend) and the couple are asking me to come translate for them at this interview. If they lie about certain things, do I have any responsibility regardless of whether I knew they were lies or not?
Do you think they are going to lie?

Proserpina

Why aren't they asking USCIS for a translator?

Proserpina

Pro...Doesn't a translator have to be quailfied in the court? :confused:

IOW...Can joe/jane shmoe bring in a buddy to translate for them?

USCIS will accept "self certification" when it comes down to translating documents, but for in-person verbal translation they needed to have discussed this WAY before now.

If I were the OP, I wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole.

And I cannot fathom why on earth they didn't mention this to USCIS before now.

Just Blue

USCIS will accept "self certification" when it comes down to translating documents, but for in-person verbal translation they needed to have discussed this WAY before now.

And how does one become "self certified"?

BTW...Thank you for answering these questions!!

Blue

Proserpina

And how does one become "self certified"?

BTW...Thank you for answering these questions!!

Blue
(yer welcome!)

You basically write a document saying you translated them, and you certify that the information is accurate and you are competent to translate.

(I know, I know...based on that requirement I could translate Doggy-to-Human conversations and give Cesar Milan a run for his money ;) )

What really concerns me is that OP has to ask the question at all...it's as if s/he is expecting them to lie.

Just Blue

(yer welcome!)

You basically write a document saying you translated them, and you certify that the information is accurate and you are competent to translate.

(I know, I know...based on that requirement I could translate Doggy-to-Human conversations and give Cesar Milan a run for his money ;) )

What really concerns me is that OP has to ask the question at all...it's as if s/he is expecting them to lie.
Thanks yet again...And I too have the same concern. See post 2.

Now if OP has knowledge of purgery while translating...Does OP have an obligation to let them know?

(Let me know if I picking too hard here...lol...You won't offend me. :) )

dspans39

Does this mean that even if I went with my friends, USCIS would not let me perform any translation duties for my friends?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thanks yet again...And I too have the same concern. See post 2.

Now if OP has knowledge of purgery while translating...Does OP have an obligation to let them know?

(Let me know if I picking too hard here...lol...You won't offend me. :) )
Official translators needs to JUST TRANSLATE. But they also need to be certified to act as in person translators or you end up with the guy who translated (allegedly) at the funeral of ... yeah lost the name now. Is it time for vacation yet?

Just Blue

Official translators needs to JUST TRANSLATE. But they also need to be certified to act as in person translators or you end up with the guy who translated (allegedly) at the funeral of ... yeah lost the name now. Is it time for vacation yet?
Nelson Mendela (sp?););)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">