• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need a lawyer to apply?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wassdeet

CA

I have lived in the U.S. since 1990 under a permanent Green card and am considering applying for citizenship. I am currently a Canadian citizen. Do I really need a lawyer or can I get the forms and do it myself? As I understand I can remain Canadian and still be a U.S. citizen.

FlyingRon

I have lived in the U.S. since 1990 under a permanent Green card and am considering applying for citizenship. I am currently a Canadian citizen. Do I really need a lawyer or can I get the forms and do it myself? As I understand I can remain Canadian and still be a U.S. citizen.
If you meet the continual presence requirement, it's straightforward to apply. Read here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.749cabd81f5ffc8fba713d10526e0aa0/?vgnextoid=8e5ca7682e319210VgnVCM10000025e6a00aRCRD&vgnextchannel=8e5ca7682e319210VgnVCM10000025e6a00aRCRD

Your US oath calls you to reject foreign allegiances but obviously that is rarely binding on the foreign government.

Wassdeet

If you meet the continual presence requirement, it's straightforward to apply.
By continual presence, I have lived in LA same address for 22 years, with 1 or 2 yearly 2-4 week visits to family in Canada and one working trip to Luxembourg for 3 months and 2 weeks in France. Is that continual presence?

FlyingRon

By continual presence, I have lived in LA same address for 22 years, with 1 or 2 yearly 2-4 week visits to family in Canada and one working trip to Luxembourg for 3 months and 2 weeks in France. Is that continual presence?
All that is explained on the page I linked to (or pages it links to). As long as you've not gone for more than 6 months at a time, visits won't interrupt your continuous presence. You appear to have plenty to apply for naturalization.

Wassdeet

You appear to have plenty to apply for naturalization.
Yes, I think I would have enough to do it myself... I do owe some back taxes but can deal with that on the N400 application form as I have a payment plan already going as requested.

thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">