• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do i need a modification to the divorce decree ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ianmurray

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I got married in March of 2007 and got divorced in April 2011, looks like the date entered for separation on the divorce decree is June 1 of 2009 The real approximate separation date should have been June 1 2010 . I applied to remove conditions on my green card on September 2009, so on paper it looks like i applied after separation with all the documents showing we are still together. Now I am applying for citizenship based on a 5 yr rule and concerned about getting questions about this date issue. Should i go back to the court and request an amendment for the date, would that be possible ? or should i just go through with the citizenship application and respond to them if they do ask questions ? (my ex wife agrees date should be 2010)

Yes, there is no harm in requesting an amendment to include the correct date. It should be easy to do since it seems like both of you guys are willing to stipulate as to the correct date. When you're applying for citizenship, you should always have all your necessary documents be as accurate as possible. You should always correct any mistakes that you possibly can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">