• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to petition for my children??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Neiru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I just got back from the Philippines. While I was there I completed the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and completed the paperwork for my 2 children's U.S. Passports. My wife is still waiting for the Passports to be released. She will also get Filipino Passports for them and herself. So If my children are recognized as U.S. citizens or dual abroad and have their U.S. passports do I still need to petition for them to come to the states (I-130 form). I know I need to do this for my wife for sure, but I'm not so sure about my two sons. Can't they move to the U.S. easily since they already have passports. Do they have dual citizenship in which they can live in either country?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I just got back from the Philippines. While I was there I completed the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and completed the paperwork for my 2 children's U.S. Passports. My wife is still waiting for the Passports to be released. She will also get Filipino Passports for them and herself. So If my children are recognized as U.S. citizens or dual abroad and have their U.S. passports do I still need to petition for them to come to the states (I-130 form). I know I need to do this for my wife for sure, but I'm not so sure about my two sons. Can't they move to the U.S. easily since they already have passports. Do they have dual citizenship in which they can live in either country?
If your children have US passports they are US citizens and need no paperwork to move to the United States.

Neiru

If your children have US passports they are US citizens and need no paperwork to move to the United States.
Thanks for your answer. I just need to verify this. I imagine so if they have a U.S. Passport they would be able to come to the U.S. with no issues. So I will only need to petition for my wife. I'm wondering if my sons have dual citizenship. For example can they live between both countries. They were born there and will also have Filipino passports.

Neiru

I found out that with a Filipino passport they will not have any exit issues. With the U.S. passport they can enter the U.S. fine. So I only need to petition for my wife. But I'm curious to know that since they both have passports can they not just live in the U.S. but also spend extended periods in the Philippines without requiring a traveling visa ( what I need when I travel there) , since they will have their Filipino passports. Sort of a reverse scenario.

LdiJ

I found out that with a Filipino passport they will not have any exit issues. With the U.S. passport they can enter the U.S. fine. So I only need to petition for my wife. But I'm curious to know that since they both have passports can they not just live in the U.S. but also spend extended periods in the Philippines without requiring a traveling visa ( what I need when I travel there) , since they will have their Filipino passports. Sort of a reverse scenario.
That may not work for you. They cannot show one passport to get on a plane, and another passport to get off the plane. However, yes, until at least the age of 21 (I think its still 21) they can hold dual citizenship. It also might be possible for them to show both passports.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">