• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driver License Renewal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

QSEQB6

What is the name of your state? SC
As anyone who's holding an EAD card is aware that the expiration date of the driver license is tied to the EAD's. I'm currently awaiting the EAD (I485 based) renewal which is done annually. What if my driver license expires before EAD arrives? Has anyone experienced this before? What can be done in the interim? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
:mad: :confused: :(

ImmigAttyLana

That should not happen if you apply for the EAD extension sufficiently in advance. You should apply at least 120 days before the current one is due to expire.

QSEQB6

Driver License Renewal Part 2

I understand. However, it could happen and if it were to happen what can be done about it? In my case I believe my DL will expire before EAD arrives. I'm just trying to cover this gap if there's a solution out there.

ImmigAttyLana

You could try to go to the DMV and see if they will renew your DL on the basis of the filed application for an EAD extension. It will really depend on the DMV as the rules may vary from state to state. But in general, it would not happen if you apply for the EAD extension well in advance of the expiration date, at least 120 days prior to the expiration date, as I mentioned in my last post.

FLMommy

I was able to get a driver's license (first time, years ago) by showing my I-485 package receipt notice. Granted, the license wasn't valid for very long (I believe only a couple of years) but was extended once I got my greencard and brought that to the DMV. Don't you have a receipt notice of your GC application? That should suffice for now.

ImmigAttyLana

Every state is different in what they accept as valid proof of "residence" for purposes of determining driver's license eligibility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">