• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving License while on 60 Day Grace Period of OPT.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ubuntupal

I'm currently on my OPT 12-Month period which will expire the 18th. of August. So my Work Authorization Card and my Florida driver's license expire on the same day. However, according to USCIS I have a 60 Day Grace Period for Travel and to prepare to leave the country. Link below page 37.

http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/About Us/Electronic Reading Room/Customer Service Reference Guide/NonimmigrantServices.pdf

Legally I'm entitled to stay those 60 days and leave the country without fault while on that grace period. But I'm leaving the country via ground, driving from Florida to New York and then to Texas stoping by several cities on the way.

How can I drive during that time? What papers do I need to show the DMV to extend my Drivers License for 60 days more after the current expiration date?

Any other advice is welcome. Thank you.

ubuntupal

I did...

I called the FL DMV and was told to go to the Local Office and explain my situation. I have printed out page 37 from the link above but I don't think that'll be sufficient.

If Florida does not want to give me a driver license to drive my own car during that period, can I apply in any other state?

What state would you recommend?

ubuntupal

Please help me out. I've been looking in the Immigration and Nationality Act for the section that should contain the 60 day grace period after OPT, but I haven't find it.

quincy

. . . . I am in the same situation. I don't know what should i do.
What you should do, Anadetri, is start your own thread with your own question - and please include the name of your state. Thanks. :)

This thread is from 2011 and ubantupal has not been back since then. Reviving old threads to tack on new questions is sort of frowned upon on this forum.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
How can I start a new thread?
You choose the area of the forum that most closely resembles the problem that you have and click on the "Post a New Thread" button. Don't preview the post; the forum likes to eat previewed posts. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">