• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving and Police stop you -- what could happen???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

broguearcher

What is the name of your state? PA

My fiancee is moving here to PA soon from TX.... she has an expired B-2 visa. Once here she will need to be able to drive at times. If she is driving one of my vehicles and is stopped by the police what could potentially happen to her? She has a valid Mexican Driver's License..... would the police have reason to care about her status?

SHORTY LONG

Would she not be looked upon as an "illegal" then, with an 'expired Visa'?
Do you both like playing Russian roulette?

broguearcher

response

Would she not be looked upon as an "illegal" then, with an 'expired Visa'?
Do you both like playing Russian roulette?
well, we certainly don't like playing with fire here. I suppose she is illegal then..... we don't know what to do. We can't get married yet and it will be 6-10 months reportedly from time of filing for the adjustment of status until temporary residency is granted.... correct?

Just trying to avoid problems here if possible.

ImmigAttyLana

But when you get married and file for her AOS, she WILL be able to get an employment authorization document and, with that, a social security number and driver's license, etc. Of course, before any of that happens, she is unlawfully present and IS subject to deportation so it is not really advisable for her to be doing things that might bring her to the attention of the authorities.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

broguearcher

your answer

But when you get married and file for her AOS, she WILL be able to get an employment authorization document and, with that, a social security number and driver's license, etc. Of course, before any of that happens, she is unlawfully present and IS subject to deportation so it is not really advisable for her to be doing things that might bring her to the attention of the authorities.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
as usual, a very helpful answer. thanks. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">