• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dual Citizenship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrsmctaggart

What is the name of your state? FL

My husband is a Canadian. He applied an American citizenship couple of months ago. I was wondering that if he becomes an American citizen, he has to give up his Canadian citizenship?
Or he can keep both?

Thank you.

H

hexeliebe

Be careful

although the U.S. does recognize both citizenships, the U.S. will not allow the citizen to hold two passports. My ex has the same problem and although she declined U.S. citizenship to keep her Austrian Passport, she has everything else she needs, including a job, social security card and driver's license.

M

mrsmctaggart

Thank you so much you guys!!

Thank you so much your reply.
It helps me a lot.

Good luck to you and be happy!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I respectfully disagree.

Although Canada does acknowledge dual citizenship, (and the US reluctantly acknowledges that other countries acknowledge dual citizenship although they personally would prefer not to) a dual citizen is one who holds both citizenships by virtue of birth. I am a dual citizen because I was born in Canada to a Canadian citizen father and a US citizen mother. I entered the US as a minor (age 11) under my mother's citizenship. The Canadian Consultate has told me that they will continue to recognize me as a citizen AS LONG AS I DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING RELINQUISHING MY CITIZENSHIP. When your husband becomes a US citizen, he WILL be asked to relinquish all other citizenships. Based on what the Consultate told me, at that time Canada will cease to recognize him as a citizen.

Dual citizens are born, not made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">