• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dual citizenship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? va

Is it possible to have dual citizenship with U.S. and El Salvador? My in-laws plan on going back to El Salvador when they retire. When they do retire they will be collecting SSI so I'm guessing that they will still be required to file their taxes in the U.S. Is that going to be a problem when they retire?

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? va

Is it possible to have dual citizenship with U.S. and El Salvador? My in-laws plan on going back to El Salvador when they retire. When they do retire they will be collecting SSI so I'm guessing that they will still be required to file their taxes in the U.S. Is that going to be a problem when they retire?
You should check with the El Salvador consulate/embassy in the US and ask them about El Salvador's position on multiple citizenship. I've never heard of them having an issue with it, and I pay attention to that sort of thing.

The US will always consider them US citizens only, and, you'll want to check with Social Security Administration to make sure they can collect their particular benefit outside the US. (just call)

As US citizens, they are required to file their US income tax returns no matter where they live or how they generate their income.

Ssi

I may have refered to the wrong thing when I said "SSI". I was referring to Social Security Benefits.

Thanks to all the information and advise. I will share it with the in-laws so they can decide what they want to do.

Thanks again.

candg918

There is a document on the SSA website that addresses receiving SS benefits while residing in another country.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">