• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Dual Citizenship, and monthly Social Security."

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SHORTY LONG

What is the name of your state? OHIO

Respectfully, I have several questions regarding a "Dual Visa Citizenship"?

(1) What is it's sole purpose for; and or used for?

(2) If an American Citizen wanted to relocate to, let's say the Philippines,
and they were receiving Social Security retirement, could they still receive
there monthly pension without returning to the States?

(3) The same as above, only the person is receiving just monthly SSD?

(4) What are the costs involved for such?

(5) Any suggested estimated time it would take to obtain it?

In advance, thank you for your kindness, time, and help with my questions.
Shorty

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
One very important thing for you to know is that the US does not recognize the concept of dual citizenship. They reluctantly acknowledge that other countries do recognize that concept, but that's as far as they are prepared to go.

I am a dual citizen because my mother was born in the US and my father was born in another country; I was born in same country my father was. However, the US recognizes me as a citizen born abroad because I entered the US as a minor under my mother's citizenship. The other country recognizes me as a citizen not only because of my father, but because that's where I was born.

Even the country of my birth has told me not to mention my citizenship with them to any US official. "If asked if you are a US citizen, say yes," the consulate told me. "Don't even mention that you are also a citizen with us unless they specifically ask you."

Relocation, as opposed to birth, does not necessarily convey dual citizenship. Chances are pretty good that you'd be seen as a US citizen living abroad, for a number of years before you could even think about citizenship elsewhere. And when you were eligible, you'd have to look very carefully to be certain that you were not revoking your US citizenship when you were naturalized as a citizen of the other country. Dual citizenship is actually very rare. So before you start worrying about the benefits thereof, you might want to be certain it's even possible. It's by no means as easy as most people seem to think.

Last edited:

evcalyptos

Where have you seen reference to "Dual Visa Citizenship"?

I googled it and came back with nothing--

I think you can find your answer on ssa.gov
If you are a US citizen, that's all you need to baffle them with. You would be RESIDENT overseas, and it is possible for you to collect certain kinds of benefits while living outside the US.

SHORTY LONG

Thank you cbg for all the information you shared with me. It was someone
who clearly does not know the inner workers of this, and brought it to my
attention. Which in return, I sought out advice from ones who knows.
Thank you again for your time and answers cbg.

Thank you evcalyptos for your insight and the link you shared. From what I was
able to learn from the ssa.gov it is more easier for one who is fully retired, then
one who receives SSD. The SSD recipient entails more because not only is the
SS involved, but also the State in which the recipient is too. This is due to help
with Food stamps, Medical, etc., Additionally, it is OK for one to travel abroad
while receiving SSD, but in order to not cause problems for themselves, it is
wise for them to return within 30 days; and as long as there Doctor would allow
them to do so.

One last thing, interesting to note, that, SS retirement is taxable in countries
abroad; not really sure about the SSD being taxable though. One must contact
the Countries respective Embassy on such matters.
Thanks again evcalyptos for your time, and in sharing the link with direction
to my questions.

evcalyptos

Shorty, make sure you've got your benefits identified correctly, too.

I do know personally one disabled US citizen who lives overseas and legitimately collects SS benefits; unfortunately, I don't know which specific benefit HE is receiving.

Good luck with your research!

SHORTY LONG

Shorty, make sure you've got your benefits identified correctly, too.

I do know personally one disabled US citizen who lives overseas and legitimately collects SS benefits; unfortunately, I don't know which specific benefit HE is receiving.

Good luck with your research!
evcalyptos, in Social Security Disability, there are two kinds:
(1) SSI; and (2) SSD which I fall under. To that regard, I get
help from the State for Food Stamps, Section 8 housing, and
the Monthly Drug Prescription Plan in which, both, that is,
SS and the State help me with! Thanks for the heads-up; and
if you get a chance, and away to contact him, would you please
inquire further on which one he is receiving; and what he has
to go through for recertification's if possible please.

Many thanks, evcalyptos. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">