• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dual nationality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mesbacc

If I become a naturalized US citizen, may I retain my Canadian citizenship?

S

SJLin

When you naturalize in the U.S., you must be willing to take an oath of allegiance to the U.S., including the renunciation of citizenship in your native country. Thus, there is a possibility of losing your Canadian citizenship, as a condition of being naturalized in the U.S. Furthermore, your country of citizenship (i.e., Canada) may have laws governing your legal status in that country when you take up citizenship in a different country. That is, Canada may have laws providing whether you may retain Canadian citizenship after naturalization in the U.S.

It is recommended that you contact an immigration attorney, preferably one who is knowledgeable of both the U.S. and Canadian immigration law, to find out the implications of obtaining U.S. citizenship. Good luck.

NickGreen

In short........

YES. Canada has no problem with it's citizens taking a second nationality. I have plenty of friends that are Canadian/American nationals. The US advises against you having a second nationality but it won't go to the extent of banning it.

Take care

Nick

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">