• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

E 2 Treaty Investor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CanuckLawyer

What is the name of your state? Canada

Everyone seems to have a nom de plume, so I'll have one of my own. I've posted before about getting my green card, but a better solution, at least in the interim, is to get in as a principal investor. I've discussed this with my colleagues, and I think that, as a Canadian citizen, an E 2 Treaty Investor may be a better way. I own 100% of my law firm, as I've mentioned, and I have several full-time employees, including another lawyer on staff and two others on contract, and, by 2009, I hope to have another full-time assistant and a second lawyer on staff.

I can put quite a bit of money up front, enough to sustain a law office and an assistant for at least two years, even if we got no revenue in (though, of course, that's highly unlikely that no one will give us a penny in that time). I can also provide further cash reserves to support myself for that time. My law firm, therefore, is not marginal, and, I think, there's a good chance I can build quite a good law firm in both countries.

I have two questions:
1) Do I have to get my license before I apply for my E 2 visa? I'm thinking of getting the visa, then spending a few months slowly building the office system and studying for the bar. This would be much more comfortable for me.
2) I've done some research, and I'm not sure if I have to start the firm in the US before I get my visa. Can I put the funds in escrow until my application is approved?
3) How long would it take? I would like to write the bar in 2009, but I can put the funds in escrow in the meantime.

Lana, what're your fees? Send me a pm.

ImmigAttyLana

You cannot start a law firm if you are not an attorney. Hello?! You have to first be admitted to practice law before you can start your own law firm.

CanuckLawyer

That's not quite true. I can start my law firm, "CanuckLawyer LLP", and have a licensed American lawyer on staff to do the actual work.

CanuckLawyer

I am a lawyer. Baker Mackenzie is an American firm that has branches all over the world, but the principals are not necessarily qualified to practise law in the particular jurisdictions. Torys is a Canadian firm with offices in New York, but many partners are NOT American lawyers.

ImmigAttyLana

So if you already know the answers you seem to think to know, then please go ahead with your plan. Why are you posting queries and then debating?

SHORTY LONG

I am a lawyer. Baker Mackenzie is an American firm that has branches all over the world,
but the principals are not necessarily qualified to practise law in the particular jurisdictions.
Torys is a Canadian firm with offices in New York, but many partners are NOT American lawyers.
Today, 11:04 AM
E 2 Treaty Investor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have two questions:
1) Do I have to get my license before I apply for my E 2 visa? I'm thinking of getting the visa, then spending a few months
slowly building the office system and studying for the bar. This would be much more comfortable for me.
2) I've done some research, and I'm not sure if I have to start the firm in the US before I get my visa.
Can I put the funds in escrow until my application is approved?
3) How long would it take? I would like to write the bar in 2009, but I can put the funds in escrow in the meantime.

Lana, what're your fees? Send me a pm.

CanuckLawyer

You know what, I think you're right. I have been so used to the inter provincial mobility protocol here that I had forgotten it's different in the US. My apologies.

OK, so if I pass the bar, how long would it take to get my E 2 Visa? And what're your fees? :)

Shorty, it's the bar exams of the particular state, be it Washington State or New York State.

SHORTY LONG

You know what, I think you're right. I have been so used to the inter provincial mobility protocol here that I had forgotten it's different in the US. My apologies.

OK, so if I pass the bar, how long would it take to get my E 2 Visa? And what're your fees? :)

Shorty, it's the bar exams of the particular state, be it Washington State or New York State.
Gee golly I did not know that! Thanks for the info.

evcalyptos

Everyone seems to have a nom de plume, so I'll have one of my own.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/search.php?searchid=1571155
Stanley, you need to find a US immigration lawyer who SPECIALIZES in the visa type you are interested in.
Have you looked at any E-2 specific sites?
Have you looked at aila.com?

This is a nice drive-by site, but really, it is not the most detailed research-oriented site, especially for more complex questions like yours.

Last edited:

CanuckLawyer

https://forum.freeadvice.com/search.php?searchid=1571155
Stanley, you need to find a US immigration lawyer who SPEICALIZES in the visa type you are interested in.
Have you looked at any E-2 specific sites?
Have you looked at aila.com?

This is a nice drive-by site, but really, it is not the most detailed research-oriented site, especially for more complex questions like yours.
Thanks, bud. :)

You know any good places I can ask?

CanuckLawyer

Anything for New York? That's where I'd like to end up eventually. I can take the New York Bar and then apply for the E 2, but I like to explore all possibilities.

evcalyptos

You didn't even look beyond the title, did you?

Go there and read up on real life E-2s and see if you can make one work for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">