• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Examples of being a "Public Charge" under I-864 Affadavit of Support????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Civic Girl

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

Lana, I'm looking for information regarding the Affadavit of Support. I know there is somewhere that you can find lists of what exact programs USCIS considers examples of being a "public charge"? I am going through my AOS process, getting all my paperwork together to send out soon, and I am in the midst of discussing this with my sister-in-law (who is my husbands co-sponsor for our I-864) and trying to figure it out. I know its important to know, I've seen a list somewhere, but I'm not sure where it was, it was a while ago so I don't even know if its out there or not. I'm in California, if you know if there is anything thats specific state wise (if its even different in any states..) Thank you to in advance!

ImmigAttyLana

It includes means-tested public benefits, which are: Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Medicaid and Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) and also state means-tested benefits. The following benefits are exempt: emergency medical care, benefits under National School Lunch Act and similar state and local programs; benefits under Food Stamps, Child Nutrition Act of 1966 and similar state/local programs; WIC, public assistance for immunizations and for testing and treatment of communicable diseases, student assistance under Titles IV, V, IX and X of Higher Education Assistance Act of 1965, etc. Look under 8 CFR Sec 213a

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">