• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

F-1 Overstay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rafiqu01

What is the name of your state? OH

I came to US 9 years ago and finished school. Afterwards, I was not able to find a job which would have allowed me to switch to H-1. I have been out of status for 4+ years. My USC girlfriend wants us to get married. I want to find out what are the implications as far as the necessity to leave the country or if my status can be adjusted without having to leave. I was given a SSN but wasn't allowed to work but did engage in employment. Thanks

ImmigAttyLana

Yes, as long as you had initially entered the US lawfully and can prove that lawful entry, you can adjust status to permanent residence on the basis of a valid marriage to a US citizen within the US and without having to go back to your home country.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">