• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

F-2 re-marry issues.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ccabc

My girl friend is now F-2 and has filed a divorce with her husband. We are going to marry right after the waiting period ends (That's when the divorcement takes effect).
1.I am an F-1 working with OPT, can she apply for new F-2 status after we get married without being deported?
2. Does she have any grace period after the divorcement takes effect? How long is it?
3. Is there any period before which she can not re-marry in Arizona?
4. Our marriage will be REAL, e.g. I am NOT just helping her / She is NOT using me to stay in U.S. legally. How can we prove to the USCIS that this marriage is real? Will the application for F-2 get approved?

Thanks.

ImmigAttyLana

You will not need to prove that the marriage is real since she will not be getting any permanent residence benefits at this point, given that you are also in F-1 status. As soon as you are legally married and have your marriage certificate from the state, she can file for an extension of her F-2 status with you as the new principal spouse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">