• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fiance/spouse path

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brysta559

What is the name of your state? AL

I am new to this, so plz bear with me, and thanks for your help,
I have a girl in the Phillippines, we want to get married.
My question is as to the best and or quickest way to get her here.
It seems to me I have threeoptions, 1. go over there, get married, come back, leave her there and apply for her visa, then wait.
2. meet outside of US, apply for a fiance visa, and wait until she can come.
3. some have told me if she can get here such as a student or a tourist, we can marry, then apply for a visa. however, I am worried the US would make her leave, then we'd still have to wait for a visa.

??? where do I even start? :confused:

also, what are the real wait times, I have heard everything from 3 moths to two years. that's a big difference. :eek:

help! thanks to all.

ImmigAttyLana

If she is a single woman, of a certain age, she is very unlikely to get a visitor's visa to the US. For the student visa, she would first have to be accepted into a college or university in the US and apply for a student visa on the basis of this.

The fastest route for you would be to petition for her as your fiancee. For that, it does not matter where you meet (you can go there or meet in a third country) but then you come back and file the petition on her behalf and within about 6-12 months, she should be able to come to the US so that you can get married.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

brysta559

thank you

thank you for your very promt reply! I will most likely ask you further questions at a later point. again, thank you. Bryan

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state? AL

I am new to this, so plz bear with me, and thanks for your help,
I have a girl in the Phillippines, we want to get married.
My question is as to the best and or quickest way to get her here.
It seems to me I have threeoptions, 1. go over there, get married, come back, leave her there and apply for her visa, then wait.
2. meet outside of US, apply for a fiance visa, and wait until she can come.
3. some have told me if she can get here such as a student or a tourist, we can marry, then apply for a visa. however, I am worried the US would make her leave, then we'd still have to wait for a visa.

??? where do I even start? :confused:

also, what are the real wait times, I have heard everything from 3 moths to two years. that's a big difference. :eek:

help! thanks to all.
The wait times are slightly shorter for a Fiance Visa (K-1) vs a Spouse/Immigrant Visa, but the Immigrant Visa is much more complete.
Since it sounds like you have not yet met in person, why not cross each bridge as you come to it? Meet in person first (as is required for all the visas) and discuss your overall future and goals. It may be that it is important to her and her family that you marry there--if so, that will be an important factor to consider.

Develop the required bonafide relationship, keep reading about your options (specific to the Manila Consulate--they are unique) and simply take it one step at a time.

In general, the petition to visa time will be 9-12 months no matter which you choose.

brysta559

thanks

Thanks so much.
yes, it looks as if I am flying there in October.
we are looking forward to it!

as to the requisite relationship, I hope they ask, because we talk every day, IM, SMS, adn voice chat...

anyway, thanks again!!

SHORTY LONG

On behalf of the Honorable Forum members, especially Attorney Lana, and
Evcalyptos, please keep us updated. Thank You!

evcalyptos

as to the requisite relationship, I hope they ask, because we talk every day, IM, SMS, adn voice chat...
It sounds like a great trip!
I do suggest that you start doing more research into what qualifies as a 'bonafide relationship' especially where it concerns Manila. One visit and a bunch of chat/phone calls may not be enough to convince them--they do this every day.

You will want to take a number of photographs, and collect other kinds of evidence.
Google for the 'asawa forums'; a group devoted to the specific topic of US immigration and the PI.

Have fun!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">