• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fiance Visa - K-1 - Lots of Other Questions.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DanC856

What is your state? New Jersey

Hello everyone, my names Dan. Im 20 years old (soon 21) and ive been having a real bumpy time lately. Im engaged to a beautiful girl, and were trying really, really hard to get our lives started. But were having a pretty decent list of problems.

First off, im an American Citizen, and shes Canadian. Weve been engaged for about a year and a half now, and recently I applied for a Working Visa for Canada. I was offered a job with her fathers bosses company doing concrete work for building homes. We applied and waited about a month or so.

About a week and a half ago, I got a letter, and my application had been denied, stating that the job was not approved by the Labour Market. I looked real deep into it and found out the other day that the contract was altered by my employer, and was then illegal. I basicly would have to re-do the entire process from the beginning, and weve both basicly called the quits on it, because theres no way my employer will hold the job for me for another 3-4 months.

Now we come to the next road, the K-1 Fiance Visa. Im looking through everything, and it doesnt seem SO bad, I get that she has to fill everything out on her end, and I have 2 applications to fill out myself. Now heres where it gets a little sticky, so thank you if youre still reading this.

First problem, she has 2 cats that I got her for our anniversary. Is there anything special they have to go through to get them to the US? Any shots, paperwork, anything we should just outwardly know about.

Next, I currently live in New Jersey, but I will not be living here. We are both planning to move to California with a friend in a large apartment. All 3 of us will be pitching in on Rent, food, ect. Is this going to be a problem since she will not be coming to New Jersey, and instead going to California?

Last, I know when we get married, she has the option of filling out the visa to be able to work in the country, how long does this process take?

If you guys have any questions for me, feel free to ask. This has been a long, long 2 years for us, and were finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel, but we need just a little more help. Thanks in advanced. :)

Last edited:

evcalyptos

Now we come to the next road, the K-1 Fiance Visa. Im looking through everything, and it doesnt seem SO bad, I get that she has to fill everything out on her end, and I have 2 applications to fill out myself. Now heres where it gets a little sticky, so thank you if youre still reading this.
It's not too difficult, but it's just all new to you. There are other forums that specialize in the fiance or family-based visa details; a good one is here: http://www.familybasedimmigration.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

In a nutshell, you file a petition I-129f to say "I'm a US citizen and I want to get married to this non-US citizen". That is approved in generally 3-6 months if you fill it out correctly and have met each other in person within the past 2 years.

Then your GF applies for a visa, and that takes another few months. She goes to an interview and show evidence that she has no disqualifying arrest history, has passed a medical exam and that you two have an ongoing relationship. She shows evidence that you can support her at/above the poverty level.

Moving the cats and stuff isn't a big deal and can be done. She can apply for a work permit after you get married and apply to Adjust her Status ("AOS") to Permanent Resident. This costs quite a bit of money (closing in on $2000 US) so you must be prepared. She should not plan on working in the US for her first 4-6 months, realistically.

If you really wanted to move to Canada, why didn't you try to immigrate through your family relationship with your fiancee?

See you out and about, I'm sure. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">