• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fiancee Visa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michael1234

Hello,

My girlfriend lives in the Philippines and we intend to get married in the United States. I have been researching the fiancee visa and have seen that I need to prove that I have an income at 100% of the poverty line (around $16,000 right now). It seems that this needs to be proven with tax forms for the previous year, and it also seems that this is done near the end of the application process (about 6-9 months long).

I may not be able to reach that income this year, because I was out of the country for about a month and a half total and only working part-time for the majority of the year. I am currently making more, and if I multiply my weekly/monthly income out for a full year, I far exceed the requisite income. So, I will definitely exceed it next year.

My question is, is the government at all flexible about this requirement, given everything I've just said here? Are they able to make that judgment call based on what I'm currently making, rather than tax documents that don't really reflect the current situation? If not, what is the soonest time next year that I could start the application process and have the documentation I need, when I need it?

Thank you in advance to anyone who is able to answer this.

Mass_Shyster

The requirement is for current income. Proving that your current income is sufficient is what matters. They may ask for more evidence if they question it.

Proserpina

Hello,

My girlfriend lives in the Philippines and we intend to get married in the United States. I have been researching the fiancee visa and have seen that I need to prove that I have an income at 100% of the poverty line (around $16,000 right now). It seems that this needs to be proven with tax forms for the previous year, and it also seems that this is done near the end of the application process (about 6-9 months long).

I may not be able to reach that income this year, because I was out of the country for about a month and a half total and only working part-time for the majority of the year. I am currently making more, and if I multiply my weekly/monthly income out for a full year, I far exceed the requisite income. So, I will definitely exceed it next year.

My question is, is the government at all flexible about this requirement, given everything I've just said here? Are they able to make that judgment call based on what I'm currently making, rather than tax documents that don't really reflect the current situation? If not, what is the soonest time next year that I could start the application process and have the documentation I need, when I need it?

Thank you in advance to anyone who is able to answer this.
While I'd ordinarily try to dissuade a co-sponsor from becoming a co-sponsor to begin with, do you have any friends or relatives who could fill the gap?

EDIT: Please, please make sure you fully understand your obligations as a sponsor.

Michael1234

While I'd ordinarily try to dissuade a co-sponsor from becoming a co-sponsor to begin with, do you have any friends or relatives who could fill the gap?

EDIT: Please, please make sure you fully understand your obligations as a sponsor.
The consulate in Manila does not allow financial co-sponsors.

Michael1234

(They actually make a decision based on the totality of the circumstances)

Then please make doubly sure you understand the financial commitment you're about to make.
Thank you, I appreciate your information and advice. I believe that I do understand the commitment, and I'm planning on hiring a lawyer to assist with the whole process anyway, so I'm sure it will be fully explained to me. I'm just trying to make sure that this won't be an issue and trying to decide when I should start the process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">